Welcome to episode 30 of the Sexology Podcast, my guest today is Dr. Lanae St. John. In this episode, we discussed why it’s important to talk to teens about sex, why it’s important not to rely solely on sex education in schools and the importance for parents to create a safe space for their teens that promotes clarity and correct information.
Lanae St. John, DHS, ACS, is board certified sexologist, sexuality educator, and writer. She received her Doctorate in Human Sexuality from the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, where she focused on Child and Adolescent Sexuality. She develops curriculum, teaches classes, and works with clients to normalize conversations about sexuality between parents and children.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How Lanae became interested in child adolescent sexuality
- Why it’s important to talk to teens about sex
- How it’s not always sufficient just to rely on schools for sex education
- The need for clarity and correct information in sex education
- Ways in which parents can discuss consent
- How parents can help facilitate the coming out process for homosexual teens
- The importance for parents to create a safe space for their children
- How parents support their kids if they are engaging in risky sexual behaviour
- The importance for teens to not fear the reactions of their parents when discussing these issues
Phone: +1 (909) 295-2623