Welcome to episode 19 of the Sexology Podcast, today my guest is Laurie Watson, LMFT. In this episode we talk about how you can get the spark back, and the importance of understanding different sex drives and ways to address them.
Laurie is a certified sex therapist who has twenty-five years of experience working with couples and individuals about love and sex. Laurie says, “I’ve never seen a couple who I didn’t feel hope about their healing and happiness. The difficulty is convincing them to give up the idea that only their partner will have to change!”
She authored her first book Wanting Sex Again – How to Rediscover Desire and Heal a Sexless Marriage (Penguin) in December 2012. A popular blogger for the general public with over 1.6 million reads on Psychology Today Online in Married and Still Doing It, Laurie also lectures professionals at Duke’s and UNC Chapel Hill’s medical schools on sexual function and dysfunction. Featured in her hometown in the N&O, Laurie has also been published or quoted in most every nationally popular magazine like Glamour, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, Cosmopolitan, etc.
A popular media figure, she has appeared on the Katie Couric Show and is regularly on radio and television in Raleigh and Greensboro. Director/owner of Awakenings, Center for Intimacy and Sexuality, Laurie supervises 6 clinicians in both Raleigh and Greensboro.
She’s a member of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, has been married for 30 years and has three grown sons.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How important sex is, in a marriage
- What are some of the causes of a sexless marriage
- How couples can develop a power struggle in a relationship through a sexless marriage
- Ways in which in couples can reconnect
- The different sexual dynamics between a man and a woman that can lead to a sexless marriage
- Understanding each other’s sex drives, what works and doesn’t work in the bedroom
- The need for women to have clitoral stimulation to reach orgasm, only 15% of women reach orgasm without clitoral stimulation
- How couples can get stuck in a loop of not having sex
- Overcoming the stresses of modern life, work, kids etc to have a healthy sex life
- The different reasons why men and women will withdraw from sex