Welcome to episode 43 of the Sexology Podcast, today I am delighted to welcome back Dr. Lisa Wade. In this episode, we talk about the difference between sex and gender, external and internal factors that may influence gender identity and the double standards that exist in society.
Lisa Wade is an associate professor of sociology at Occidental College. Her newest book, American Hookup, is about the emergence and character of the culture of sex that dominates college campuses today.
Before receiving her PhD in sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Lisa earned an MA in human sexuality from NYU and a BA in philosophy from the University of California-Santa Barbara.
Lisa has authored over a dozen academic research articles and a textbook on the sociology of gender. She also actively contributes to media, writing extensively for non-academic audiences and appearing on television and radio.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The difference between sex and gender
- Gender identity and sexual orientation – is there a relationship between them?
- External and internal factors that can influence gender identity
- What it means to identify as non-confirming
- The relationship between biological and societal factors affecting identity
- How societal intuitions of power try to keep the status quo to protect their own power
- Parenting and gender identity
- The double standards that exist in society when dealing with identity issues