Welcome to episode 12 of the Sexology Podcast, today I’m speaking to Natalie Finegood Goldberg, LMFT, CST about the issues surrounding erectile dysfunction. In this episode, Natalie talks about the causes of erectile dysfunction, its physiological and psychological factors contributing to this struggles and steps that can be taken to overcome this issue.
Natalie Finegood Goldberg is an AASECT Certified Los Angeles Sex Therapist and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFC #53017) specializing in sex therapy and psychotherapy. Working with individuals and couples, Natalie offers therapy services at her private practice in Beverly Hills. Previous work experience includes being a staff clinical associate at Center for Healthy Sex in West Los Angeles, as well as having previously worked at Cliffside Malibu, a dual diagnosis inpatient drug and alcohol rehab. Natalie was born and raised in Los Angeles and is familiar with the variety of pressures that come with living in LA.
In addition to her degrees, Natalie has participated in a variety of trainings including a Clinical Sexology training with Dr. Patti Britton, Bridging the Couple Chasm: A Research Based Approach by Drs John and Julie Gottman, and the Sex Addiction Treatment Training Program with Alexandra Katehakis, MFT, CSAT-S, CST-S. Natalie completed the rigorous requirements to become a sex therapist through the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) under the supervision of Alexandra Katehakis, MFT, CSAT-S, CST-S and Dr Tammy Nelson, CST-S. Natalie is trained in EMDR Therapy with advanced training in AF-EMDR (Attachment Focused EMDR) with Dr Laurel Parnell.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The physical and psychological reasons why erections occur
- How as men get older they need a mixture of physical and psychological stimulation to get an erection
- The criteria that needs to be met to be diagnosed with erectile dysfunction
- How erectile dysfunction is related to all sexual activity, not just for example masturbation
- The physiological and psychological causes of erectile dysfunction
- Why men prefer the problem to be physiological
- How taking Viagra can make things worse if the problem is psychological
- The effects anxiety can have in relation to erectile dysfunction
- The impact erectile dysfunction can have on couples / relationships
- How masturbation and pornography can affect erectile dysfunction
- Available treatments both medically and psychologically
- The average time treatments can take
- The additional benefits mindfulness can bring
- The importance of communication to help overcome this issue
- Ways you can regain your sexual energy
- Understanding that erectile dysfunction is a multi-layered issue that needs ongoing support