Welcome to episode 06 of the Sexology Podcast, today my guest is Dr. Lonnie Barbach. In this episode, Lonnie speaks to me about the issues surrounding female sexuality such as faking orgasms, the need for good communication and overcoming boredom to improve sex in a relationship.
Dr Barbach’s work as a couple’s therapist for more than three decades and the publication of Going the Distance: Finding and Keeping Lifelong Love crafted with David Geisinger, Ph.D., her partner of 32 years, has defined her as an acknowledged expert on intimate relationships. She is skilled in a variety of treatment modalities in treating individuals and couples with problems ranging from anxiety and depression to parenting and communication issues.
Considered a pioneer in her field, her dozen books, translated into an equal number of languages, have sold over 4 million copies in the U.S. alone. She is a life member of the American Psychological Association and is currently Director of Content for Happy Couple, a quiz-style game that takes you from dating to building a healthy and sustainable relationship.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The physiological aspects of a woman reaching an orgasm
- The need for a slow build up and feeling safe in the relationship
- Faking orgasms and teaching your partner that the wrong things are right
- Difficulties in finding good information and believing external standards
- Good starting points for couples exploring what they like to do sexually
- Studies which highlight what makes for a great relationship / marriage
- Issues around boredom, overworking and not prioritizing the relationship
- Importance of communication
- Things that hinder women to experience arousal
- How differences in amount of desire needed can affect a relationship
- How not being so goal oriented can improve the experience for most people
- Reading resources together to improve sex
- Why Lonnie created “Happy Couple” (A couple’s game app)